Sport is an integral part of school life here at Sand Hutton and Warthill C of E Primary Federated Schools. The schools are committed to supporting every child to be physically active and positive attitudes towards healthy and active lifestyles are encouraged among all pupils. In the past school year children have had the opportunity to access a wide range of sporting and physically based activities developing new skills through PE lessons, after school clubs and intercommunity sporting festivals and competitions. Experts within their field have been used to promote a high standard of skill; football coaching from York City Football Club, Tag Rugby from York City Knights Rugby League, Tae Kwon Do, Street Dance Club, Volleyball Gymnastics and more.
Numerous children of all age ranges have represented the school across a range of sport including Cross Country, athletics, football, rugby, bench ball and cricket. This not only develops our children’s sporting ability but also their social skills, confidence and self-esteem. High standards of behaviour are expected within PE lessons, at play times and at all attended events. All adults within the school community are committed to this continuing into the future.
This deep commitment to excellence in sport across the federation has been sustained and developed by the Government Sports Premium Funding 2013 – 2015 allowing the following sports programme to be in place:
- Weekly specialist sports coaching for all children in age appropriate
- Inter school sports competitions organised through Huntington Secondary, School, Norton Primary School and our Small Schools Cluster.
- Two specialist sports teachers who organise festivals and competitions across the schools whilst being available for CPD opportunities and support for non-specialist staff.
- Programme of Extracurricular sport provided by external and internal providers open to all Currently these include: Tag rugby, Football, Dance, Volleyball, Tennis.
- Programme of PE teacher training students coaching in school.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sportProviding places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
Sand Hutton Primary School
Warthill Primary School
Contact Us by E-Mail
Translate this site
Sand Hutton and Warthill schools are federated together, combining both schools to create one website. Both schools' information can be viewed on this website at the click of a button.